Saturday, October 16, 2004

Encounter with Carlos Vives

When I am searching for new music, the first 1~2 seconds of the song is very important to me because if I couldn't get any impression from those first few seconds, I will not listen to the song anymore. I usually listen to new songs from demo tapes. It always turn out that whatever I feel about the music and the outcome of the album in the market is almost the same too. If a song doesn't give me any impression from the beginning, most songs will not do well in the market. I didn't mean they have to have a good beat. What I should say is... It's the spirit from the music that matters. If it's a good song, I can feel it from the first 1~2 seconds.
As I said, I recently haven't viewed my favorite show "Pepsi Musica". I think I have a reason. Pepsi Musica recently started. They used to call it "La Cartelera Pepsi". Former VJ Paula is very funny. I like her talking and hosting this show. But after they switched VJ and renamed the show Pepsi Musica, they've kept the show's format but the new VJ Karla is a little boring. She is a little weak for a VJ plus her tone seems to be always the same level and her actions look like a robotic program . If she didn't move her hand up and down, she couldn't talk. Obviously she is not IN to this show yet. It really makes me sleepy..a VJ is not a musician.. But I believe a VJ is also another kind of performer. If she wants this kind of job, she should go to an acting school and start with some voice training for VJ. So that's why I didn't enjoy watching this show anymore. Also since they set up their web-site where they list the top 20 songs, I really don't need to watch the show anymore. I really miss Paula and La Cartelera Pepsi.

Anyway this morning I did watch one that I recorded on TIVO from last week very quickly. I just listened to each songs for only the first few seconds..Otherwise skip, skip , skip until I get a good impression. Then my ears and heart caught this one song. Carlos Vives "Como tu". It's a nice Carribbean song..my body is into the beat too. I really wanted to hear his whole album.

Today my wife and I went to SF Downtown (see my wife's blog). My wife works in the financial district so she's familiar with the new things that are pretty much new to me these days. I haven't gone here for a while, so I am not used to it anymore.. just too much people..We had a chance to go to Virgin Records. I knew they have a Latin CD section on the 3rd floor, so we proceeded there and found the this album I've been looking for.




I expected his CD is good. Two years ago, our family best friend,P, rented me their CD, Dejame Entrar, once. I liked it.. but his song didn't come up in the top 20 that time. So I didn't buy it. However that was a really good CD. So I expected this CD will be a good one too. When we drove back from SF, we were listening to his new CD in the car. Yeah...all songs are definitely good. I couldn't stop dancing in the car, too.. hahaha...

I expected his songs from this album will come up in the top 20 from now.

Nice to meet you, Carlos Vives!!

link | posted by ExcelVir at 11:06 PM

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous commented at 5:54 PM~  

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » » »

Want to Post a Comment?

back to main page



Designed by mela
Banner image from stock.xchng | Powered by Blogger
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com